Friday, December 07, 2007

Like Chewing on (non-chewable) Dramamine

Wow, I hate to admit that sports, even the Bears, can have this level of effect on me. But last night's game left a really bad taste in my mouth, and I just really feel bad about the Bears now. Intellectually, I know there's hope for next season, and that the amount of tweaking that needs to be done in order to get back to winning is by no means daunting. But that's not how it feels. Right now, the Bears are one of the worst teams in the league, and it sure feels like we're back in that cellar of pure crapitude that we wallowed in for the nineties and for most of this century.

When Lovie Smith took over the team he said it was his goal to make it to the Super Bowl in three years, and as much as I loved him for saying that, I didn't really buy it for a second. But he did it, and he did it starting with a team that was way worse than the one he has now. I don't know how he did it, but the only thing I feel like I can cling to right now is that I'm pretty sure he can do it again. Historically, what Lovie Smith has proved time and again he's good at is taking bad teams and turning them around, turning them into good, solid, defensive teams. This season is shot, but I do feel like we're in good hands as far as taking this bad team and turning them around.

No comments: