Sunday, September 09, 2007

The Wait is Finally Over!

I'm so excited that I finally get to watch a meaningful Bears football game tomorrow that I'm not really sure if I'll be able to sleep tonight. But as I was walking toward the Haight tonight to watch Daywatch at the Red Vic, something occurred to me that, if I were a more sane person, probably would have occurred to me much earlier. The Bears might lose this game! I mean, I guess I had been figuring that it was possible the Bears would lose tomorrow and it wouldn't really mean much, since this looks like it could far the hardest game they'll have all season, and it's not like I think there's really any chance of them winning fewer than 10 games. But what I mean is that it suddenly dawned on me that in fewer than 24 hours, the Bears could be 0-1. Which would mean that for the first time in a really long time, they would not be in first place in the NFC North, which is really depressing... What's even scarier is that I think there's just as much of a chance, if not more, that the Vikings will win tomorrow... Which would mean, and the thought of this really makes me almost nauseated, the Vikings would have a better record than the Bears! I don't know if I'm ready to live in a universe yet where that is the case, so I guess the Bears are just going to have to win tomorrow.

Also, there really is every chance in the world that this will be the most difficult game the Bears have all season. We'll see what happens with Denver later on, a team many people think might get dominant again this season, but I don't really expect Denver to be much of a threat. And even if they do turn out to be a better team, by that time, one game against an AFC team will most likely not seem as important. The Bears starting the season with a winning record hinges entirely on this game, and the same is true for San Diego, and their both super talented teams who both expected to win the Super Bowl last year, so both teams are likely going to really badly want to win this game. And they've both had plenty of time to game plan and everything. I expect the game tomorrow to be really intense. I expect both teams will look really tuned, especially both defenses, and someone's going to break the game open in the third quarter.

Actually, I think the biggest advantage the Bears have in tomorrow's game is the coaching. The fact that the Bears are not feeling there way around with a new coaching staff like the Chargers are is probably the least mentioned important aspect of the game tomorrow. I think that fact could be a bigger deal for the Chargers tomorrow than it will be the rest of the season, and the Bears are in a much more secure place with all the coaches and most of the players.

Now it's time for me to lay down for some sweet dreams of a Bears victory...

No comments: